Just some months after I had lastly saved up and acquired my DJI Air 2S, DJI launched one other drone, the Air 3, which is all of the hype now.
Because it’s a direct improve from the Air 2S, individuals who personal it now marvel if the Air 2S has turn into out of date and if they need to improve or keep on with their older drone.
These seeking to get a brand new drone now have yet another mannequin to contemplate.
So, DJI Air 3 vs. Air 2S, which one is best?
The DJI Air 3 is the higher drone. It has an extended flight time, a twin digicam system, extra clever flight modes, an extended vary, and improved flight options. Nevertheless, the Air 2S remains to be an amazing drone and value preserving if you have already got one.
Maintain studying to be taught extra about which drone is best and who every mannequin is made for.
DJI Air 2S overview
DJI Air 2S Fly Extra Combo
Drone with 3-Axis Gimbal Digicam, 5.4K Video, 1-Inch CMOS Sensor, 4 Instructions of Impediment Sensing, 31-Min Flight Time, Max 7.5-Mile Video Transmission, MasterShots, Grey
We earn a fee for those who make a purchase order, at no further value to you.
08/17/2023 12:36 pm GMT
Launched in November 2021, the DJI Air 2S has been one of the vital inexpensive shopper drones for fairly a while.
It struck a stability for anybody searching for digicam for content material creation or skilled work with out spending an excessive amount of.
The principle options that make the Air 2S stand out embrace:
- 1-inch CMOS Sensor – In comparison with the earlier Mavic Air 2 and the newest releases, such because the Mini 3 Professional, the Air 2S has a bigger sensor that performs higher in low-light circumstances.
- 4-way impediment avoidance – On the time of its launch, four-way impediment avoidance was an amazing enchancment because it allowed this drone for use in additional functions.
- Clever Flight Modes – The Air 2S has a number of Clever Flight Modes that enable customers to simply create cinematic content material. These embrace ActiveTrack, SpotLight, Level of Curiosity, Quickshots, Mastershots, Panorama, and Hyperlapse.
- Prolonged flight time – The 31-minute flight time can also be not that dangerous. You will get sufficient footage with one battery or use the 2 additional batteries included within the combo if you’d like extra footage.
- 5.4K video decision – The 5.4K video decision within the Air 2S is one among a form, permitting you to get among the best-looking footage on a comparatively funds drone.
- Vary – The Air 2S comes with the OcuSync 3.0, which permits it to fly as much as 7.5 miles from the controller, supplying you with wonderful transmission for short-range flight.
DJI Air 3 overview
Launched on July 25, 2023, the Air 3 is the newest shopper drone launch from DJI on the time of this writing.
Because it’s branded “Air,” it appears to be like like a direct improve to the Air 2S. As such, it improves on many options of the Air 2S.
The principle options of the Air 3 embrace the next:
- A bigger sensor – The Air 3 comes with a 1/1.3-inch sensor. Does this bigger sensor make any distinction within the high quality of the footage you get? We’ll talk about that intimately.
- Two cameras – The Air 3 has not one however two cameras, a characteristic now we have solely seen within the Mavic 3. These cameras embrace the wide-angle lens and the medium telephoto digicam, which include completely different apertures (f1.7 and f2.8, respectively).
- Improved transmission – The Air 3 introduces OcuSync 4.0, which guarantees a variety of as much as 12 miles.
- Omnidirectional impediment avoidance – The Air 3 is the primary Air drone to characteristic 360-degree impediment avoidance, opening up extra potentialities of issues you are able to do along with your drone.
- Further flight modes – In addition to the flight modes like ActiveTrack, Level of Curiosity, and SpotLight, DJI additionally provides two additional and helpful flight modes, Cruise Management and Waypoints. Cruise Management lets the drone fly autonomously on the identical velocity you had been flying at. This makes it simpler to take your shot, particularly when you need to get to a far location. Alternatively, the Waypoint characteristic permits you to pre-program a flight plan, and the drone will fly by way of it.
- Improved ActiveTrack – The Air 3 comes with ActiveTrack 5.0, an enchancment from Air 2S’s ActiveTrack 4.0. The newer model permits the drone to trace the topic in eight completely different instructions and swap between the instructions when in flight, and the upgraded APAS system helps easy the flight whereas avoiding obstacles.
- Prolonged flight time – The Air 3’s flight time has been prolonged to 46 minutes, which is sort of spectacular since now it lasts so long as the Mavic 3 Sequence, supplying you with much more time to document your footage.
- Evening Mode – The Air 3 has a devoted Evening Mode that permits you to take higher evening pictures than with a drone missing this characteristic.
- Vertical Digicam Orientation – The Air 3 permits you to get footage that you may put up on to social media, although this characteristic works otherwise from what now we have seen within the Mini 3 Professional.
- Upgraded controller – The Air 3 additionally comes with the DJI RC 2, which is an upgraded model of the DJI RC. Within the controllers part, I’ll talk about its options and the way it compares to the DJI RC. In the event you don’t thoughts utilizing your smartphone to manage the drone, you too can get the Air 3 with the RC-N2, an improve from the RC-N1 that has been round for some time within the Mini, Air, and Mavic drones.
DJI Air 3 vs. DJI Air 2S – Which is the higher drone?
Now that now we have a quick concept of every drone’s major options, let’s have a look at how these two drone fashions examine primarily based on the principle elements one ought to search for in a drone.
The Air 3 and the Air 2S characteristic the identical foldable design, however the Air 3 has a smoother and sturdier total construct. The Air 3 can also be heavier, weighing 720 grams, in comparison with the Air 2S’s 595 grams.
One design side that DJI modified is the battery charging hub.
In contrast to the Air 2S’s charging hub, which is open and also you place the batteries on prime, the Air 3’s hub is extra of a compartment that you may additionally use to retailer the batteries when touring.
The batteries are additionally secured; you need to launch them by urgent a latch. The battery within the Air 3 additionally goes to the again, not the highest, like within the Air 2S.
You probably have used or studied the Air 2S, you’ll notice that some individuals had points with inserting the battery on the prime, the place typically it might not match correctly. The newer battery placement within the Air 3 is extra handy.
Pricing and availability
The Air 2S is the cheaper drone, going for $999 for the fundamental bundle and $1,299 for the Fly Extra Combo, the place you get two additional batteries, a bag, a charging hub, ND filters, and different equipment to make use of along with your drone.
Whereas there are cheaper drones, the Air 2S is well worth the value as a result of highlighted options.
Alternatively, the Air 3 prices $1,099 for the fundamental bundle and the RC-N2 controller. There are two Fly Extra Combos; one with the RC-N2 that prices $1,349, and one with the DJI RC 2 controller that prices $1,549.
Each drones can be found each on DJI’s web site and e-commerce platforms.
Nevertheless, for the reason that Air 3 is an improve from the Air 2S, we’re not sure if the Air 2S will probably be discontinued later. In the event you personal an Air 2S, let’s say you’re protected for now.
Pictures and movies are the principle causes you’d get both of those drones, proper? As such, it might do you justice if we went past the options on paper to debate what you get from each drones to assist make a greater choice.
Each drones provide wonderful picture and video capabilities, however you have to to know a number of nuances to get a drone that aligns along with your artistic imaginative and prescient.
When it was launched, the Air 2S set a brand new normal with the 1-inch CMOS sensor, which was bigger than that on among the drones in its value vary at the moment.
The 20MP pictures and 5.4K video at 30 fps and D-Log capabilities make sure you nonetheless get crisp footage ok for skilled jobs.
Whereas it’s restricted in zooming functionality, which is simply obtainable in video, there may be nonetheless rather a lot that you might do with the Air 2S.
It’s also possible to shoot in JPEG or RAW, however you must all the time go for RAW if you’d like extra modifying flexibility.
The Air 3 takes images and recording a notch larger with the twin digicam system that enables it to see from two views; this lets you take completely different pictures of the identical topic in a single take and examine them later to choose one of the best.
The picture high quality can also be elevated to 48MP, permitting you to take even higher nonetheless pictures, panoramas, and hyperlapses than the Air 2S.
The bigger sensor additionally permits extra gentle in, making this drone excellent for low-light circumstances.
However this shouldn’t be a deal breaker, because it’s potential to get high-quality footage even from a smaller sensor with the varied imaging and modifying software program applied sciences obtainable.
What units the Air 3 other than the Air 2S relating to low-light circumstances is the Evening Mode, which mechanically will increase the ISO and reduces the noise, permitting you to take higher pictures and movies than you’d with the Air 2S.
The 3X zoom within the medium tele digicam can also be extra versatile than the Air 2S’s 4X zoom, which doesn’t work when capturing in 10-bit or 120 fps.
With a 3X zoom, it’s potential to make the viewer really feel nearer to the topic with out flying the drone too shut.
The vertical digicam orientation functionality is one other important characteristic that will make one go for the Air 3.
We first noticed this characteristic executed properly within the Mini 3 Professional, the place you possibly can change the digicam’s orientation from panorama to portrait, so you’ll not must crop the footage when posting on social media.
Nevertheless, the Air 3’s digicam doesn’t actually change its orientation.
What occurs is that the cameras crop the footage right into a 4:3 display measurement, making the footage able to view on a smartphone with out having to crop. Nevertheless, the footage taken with the vertical capturing functionality is proscribed to 2.7K.
And lastly, though the Air 3’s footage high quality is proscribed to 4k at 100fps, it’s nonetheless potential to get good footage and even higher than the Air 2S as a result of HDR and HLG capabilities which give much more element.
The Air 3 and the Air 2S have numerous flight options that make their operations smoother. Let’s see how they examine on this side.
The Air 2S is a part of an period of drones that had been extra steady in flight and simpler to manage than drones just like the Phantoms.
The four-way impediment sensing was additionally an amazing addition since its predecessor, the Air 2, solely had three-way impediment sensing and avoidance programs.
When flying in areas with few obstacles, you possibly can fly the drone autonomously as you deal with taking the pictures. Nevertheless, be certain the obstacles don’t seem on its facet.
The Air 2S additionally comes with very practical ActiveTrack, SpotLight, and Level of Curiosity flight modes, which make it potential to take a variety of pictures autonomously.
With a flight time of as much as 31 minutes, you may get all of the pictures you want in a single or two flights so long as you propose them properly.
The O3 transmission can also be fairly succesful, guaranteeing robust communication between the drone and the controller, even in areas with some interference.
If the drone loses connection to the controller, there are security measures the place you possibly can set the drone to both hover, return to the takeoff level, or land.
The Air 3 launched omnidirectional impediment avoidance, the primary in an Air drone, making missions unimaginable or tough to execute with the Air 2S potential.
This drone additionally options the newer OcuSync 4.0.
Whereas the OcuSync 3 nonetheless works completely, the OcuSync 4.0 is an improved model, providing extra strong communications between the drone and the controller and higher efficiency in areas with interference. Because it’s nonetheless new, we’ll have to attend for extra checks to see the way it holds up over time.
The extra flight modes are additionally a superb addition, making extra duties potential in comparison with the Air 2S.
Whereas each drones provide wonderful efficiency in numerous elements, the Air 3 has the higher hand. It’s sooner, extra wind-resistant, and flows extra easily within the air.
The Air 2S is usually aggressive, although one will get used to it with time.
The Air 3 additionally has a handy sooner ascending and descending velocity in comparison with the Air 2S (10 meters per second in comparison with 6 meters per second).
This larger velocity makes getting the drone out of an emergency simpler, like if you encounter birds. In such a case, you possibly can rapidly climb to a better altitude to keep away from a collision.
Concerning flight time, the Air 3 and Air 2S provide substantial durations catering to completely different artistic wants.
The Air 2S’s 31-minute flight time is ample for many images and videography classes, offering ample time to seize numerous pictures and scenes.
Alternatively, the Air 3’s prolonged 46-minute flight time opens up new potentialities for extra intricate and extended tasks.
Whether or not documenting lengthy occasions, conducting prolonged aerial surveys, or just indulging in prolonged flight classes, the Air 3’s flight time ensures you possibly can seize your imaginative and prescient with out interruption.
Each drones use related controllers, solely the variations differ. The Air 2S first got here with the RC-N1 controller that works with the O3 transmission.
The RC-N1 is a light-weight and comfy controller and is ideal for those who don’t thoughts utilizing your display to stream the footage from the drone.
Later, DJI launched the DJI RC, which got here with the Mini 3 Professional, the principle distinction being the built-in display.
You don’t want a smartphone with this controller because you get the footage on to the controller. This makes it simple to arrange and fly, minimizes interference from the smartphone’s background actions, and affords total higher efficiency.
The Air 3 comes with newer variations of the RC-N1 and DJI RC, the RC-N2, and the DJI RC 2.
These work equally and look just like the earlier fashions; the one distinction is that they arrive with OcuSync 4.0 as a substitute of the O3 system and have the 2T2R antennas as a substitute of the 1T2R discovered within the DJI RC.
These upgrades guarantee stronger connection and anti-interference capabilities. Sadly, the DJI RC 2 is at present not suitable with the Air 2S or another drone, however we hope this will probably be made potential in an replace.
DJI Air 3 vs. Air 2S – Which drone would I select?
The Air 3 is clearly the higher drone of the 2.
The bigger sensor, higher imaging capabilities, longer flight time, omnidirectional impediment avoidance, higher total design and flight efficiency, higher efficiency in low gentle, and the twin digicam system make me extra inclined in direction of it.
However that doesn’t imply that the Air 2S is now out of the image.
Having used it for a while, I can attest to its affordability, nice imaging capabilities, affordable flight instances, and the 5.4K at 30fps is a decision you’ll not discover even within the Mavic 3 drones.
So, which one do you have to select?
In the event you’re getting your first drone and have the cash, saving up and getting the Air 3 can be higher.
To get a transparent view of the principle variations between these drones, beneath is a complete video.
In the event you already personal the Air 2S, you shouldn’t really feel pressured to improve to the Air 3.
As talked about earlier, the Air 2S remains to be a worthy drone with a variety of capabilities, and because it has been round for a very long time, it has been tried and examined for a variety of duties.
It is best to solely improve for those who want the bigger sensor, additional impediment avoidance, additional flight time, and the extra options that the Air 3 has.
It’s also possible to get the Air 3 if you wish to future-proof your self if DJI discontinues the Air 2S.
The Air 2S can also be nice for anybody on a funds who needs to spend lower than $1,000. You will get it now that it’s on provide or perhaps a refurbished drone.
However when you have greater than $1,000 and are searching for a greater drone, there’s little question that the Air 3 now takes first place.
Whereas each drones have inner storage, getting an SD card is essential since each drones shoot in excessive resolutions, and the inner storage won’t be sufficient.
Whatever the drone you select, beneath are one of the best SD playing cards to choose for them.
Any SD card from a good model that could be a UHS-I or can obtain a minimal write velocity of 30 Mbps will work with the Air 3, however beneath are my greatest picks.
Kingston Canvas Go! Plus
Accredited by DJI to be used with the DJI Air 3, this SD card is engineered for seamless compatibility. Its high-speed knowledge switch ensures easy 4K video recording and speedy file transfers. It is available in numerous sizes, however getting 64GB or above is advisable.
With a spacious capability, you possibly can seize extra of your aerial adventures with out worrying about operating out of house.
Different good SD playing cards to contemplate for the Air 3 embrace the next:
We’ve got a devoted put up on the greatest SD playing cards for the DJI Air 2S, so I’ll briefly listing the highest three picks primarily based on what I’ve used.