In the event you’re searching for a enjoyable, contemporary thought for a kitchen makeover, think about a stacked tile backsplash. This look goes past the standard subway tile search for a clear, trendy look that you just’re certain to like!
Stacked tile is contemporary, trendy, and nonetheless conventional. It creates clear, trendy traces that may work with any type of dwelling, making it a fantastic match for quite a lot of makes use of.
Let’s get impressed and be taught in regards to the stacked tile backsplash type right now!
In the event you’ve executed any tile tasks these days, you already know that the selections can really feel a bit of difficult. You need one thing that feels trendy and on-trend, however not too stylish.
And also you wish to select a coloration and elegance that you just love right now, however you’ll additionally adore it in 10 or 20 years, proper? It’s not as simple because it sounds!
That’s why we ended up with a beadboard backsplash to coordinate with the Danby marble in our St. Louis kitchen. It simply felt like a fabric that may have been used 100 years in the past. And by chance, we nonetheless adore it simply as a lot right now!
At our extra trendy lake home, although, the backsplash wanted a bit of totally different type. We wished one thing that felt a bit of extra enjoyable and contemporary, to mirror the laid again type of this contemporary coastal dwelling.
It’s not that we don’t like subway tile – we do, and we’ve used it earlier than! We simply wished to attempt one thing new, and sq. tiles are making a comeback. We appreciated the concept of shiny backsplash tiles that mirror our love for the water, too.
That’s how we landed on a shiny stacked tile backsplash to go together with our quartz counter tops.
Stacked Tile Backsplash
Stacked tile is the only tile format possibility. Sq. or rectangular tiles are merely positioned right into a sample of 1 on high of the opposite, versus a staggered place.
You are able to do this with sq. tiles or subway tiles – any kind of four-sided tile will work!
Set up Notes
In the event you’re a fan of Zellige tiles, you would possibly just like the glazed tile backsplash we selected. It’s a extra reasonably priced, simply accessible technique to seize the fashionable look of shiny handmade tiles, however in a ceramic format.
- It’s received actually fairly and distinctive variation within the coloration of the glaze, as properly. Bonus? It’s simpler to chop and set up, too!
- This stacked tile backsplash was simple to put out and set up. As a result of we wished a minimal grout line, we selected a small 1/16 spacer.
- Whereas I wished the curiosity of those shiny stacked tiles, I nonetheless wished them to really feel quiet and smooth. With that in thoughts, we went with a smooth off-white grout to mix the road a bit of extra.
- Stacked tile works for flooring, too! It’s a phenomenal, trendy addition to loos, mudrooms, laundry rooms and extra.
- We have been initially hesitant to attempt a stacked sample in our kitchen as a result of we have been afraid it will really feel dated. After we leaned right into a shiny tile end, it immediately modernized the look!
- Slender grout traces assist emphasize the trendy look of stacked tile. In truth, utilizing no grout in any respect is a well-liked look with stacked stone tile! Keep away from thicker grout if you would like the extra modern look.
Steadily Requested Questions
Staggered tile is a extra conventional design, and it’s positioned with a 50% offset. Which means every tile is exactly centered over the 2 beneath it for a brick look. Stacked tile doesn’t have an offset, it’s merely stacked horizontally (or vertically) for a extra clean-lined look.
Sure! Stacked tile feels a bit of extra trendy than a standard staggered sample. This look grew to become fashionable in the course of the mic-century trendy time interval, and continues to be fashionable right now.
Whereas staggered tile has been round for hundreds of years, the extra trendy stacked look is a bit of newer, with its roots of fashion courting to the Fifties. That doesn’t imply that it gained’t have endurance, although – solely that it hasn’t been confirmed over the long run like staggered.
As seen in our lake cottage kitchen backsplash, this glazed tile is 4 inches sq. and is available in 5 lovely colours.