This entry was posted on Sep 21, 2023 by Charlotte Bell.
You gained’t usually see “fancy” poses featured on this weblog. I don’t take into account these poses to be staples; they’re extra like “dessert.” They’re enjoyable to do sometimes, however aren’t actually the primary course of yoga apply. The principle dishes are the fundamentals, poses like Vrksasana (Tree Pose), Virabhadrasana I and II (Warrior I and II), Adho Mukha Svanasana (Downward Going through Canine Pose) and naturally, Tadasana (Mountain Pose). Nonetheless, it’s enjoyable to play with fancy poses infrequently. At this time I’d prefer to characteristic Titibasana (Firefly Pose) and how you can put together for it.
Titibasana is a part of the arm stability class of poses. Like Bakasana (Crane Pose) it’s thought-about to be one of many extra primary arm balances. It’s one which has at all times been accessible to me. However most individuals discover Bakasana to be a lot simpler. Preparation is vital.
One of many key parts to practising Titibasana is arm size. These of us with lengthy arms usually tend to discover this pose fairly straightforward. However that’s only one component. In an effort to apply Titibasana, listed below are parts that should be in place:
- Lengthy arms
- Robust, versatile wrists
- Steady and lively core
- Versatile abductors and robust adductors
Making ready to Apply Titibasana
You can begin making ready for Titibasana by practising a number of rounds of Surya Namaskar (Solar Salutations). From there, apply the next poses that handle the precise abilities it’s essential apply the pose:
Arms: As for lengthening one’s arms, properly, there’s not lots you are able to do about that. However you possibly can place Yoga Blocks—on their lowest peak—below your fingers to successfully lengthen your arms. This has labored properly for my college students.
Wrists: Titibasana requires excessive flexion within the wrists, together with weight bearing. This makes the pose dangerous for individuals with injured or problematic wrists. It’s greatest to not try this pose in case your fingers or wrists are in any respect compromised. Nevertheless, in case your fingers and wrists are wholesome, you possibly can put together by practising these “hand yoga” positions. If you end up restricted by restricted vary of movement within the wrists, you should use a Yoga Wedge, as within the above picture.
Core: A robust, activated core could also be a very powerful component in performing any yoga arm balances. Apply a number of rounds of Phalakasana (Plank Pose) and Vasisthasana (Aspect Plank Pose) to heat up. You too can study the right motion for participating the core in Malasana (Yogic Squatting Pose). Observe these directions for the pose: From Malasana, squeeze in in your shoulders together with your knees. If you do that, discover how your stomach muscle groups and organs tone again towards the again, and the again expands. This firming again is the important thing to stabilizing your physique in arm balances.
Abductors and Adductors: In an effort to get your knees excessive up in your arms, your hips should be considerably versatile. Heat up the hips by practising Supta Ardha Padmasana (Reclining Half Lotus Pose) and Gomukhasana (Cow Face Pose). Baddha Konasana (Certain Angle Pose) can assist lengthen your adductors.
The best way to Apply Titibasana
- Start by standing in Uttanasana (Standing Ahead Bend Pose) on a Yoga Mat.
- Bend your knees deeply and stroll your fingers again in order that they’re on the ground, behind your ft.
- Bend the knees sufficient in order that your palms could be flat on the ground (or on blocks). Unfold your fingers and be sure that your fingers are shoulders-width aside.
- Regulate your place in order that your knees are as excessive up on the arms as attainable. Then squeeze your knees in in your shoulders in order that the core tones again. Keep this motion all through the pose.
- Start to regularly shift your weight again, persevering with to squeeze in in your shoulders together with your knees, till your ft begin to really feel mild on the ground.
- Raise your ft off the ground, inserting the soles collectively. Preserve squeezing in in your shoulders.
- At this level, you could end up falling again onto your rear. If this occurs, you possibly can apply steps 1 by 5 so as to construct your approach towards Titibasana, maybe sooner or later.
- After a number of breaths, gently permit your hips to launch right down to the ground. Sit and relaxation for a number of breaths. If you wish to strive once more, go for it. In any other case, apply Downward Going through Canine Pose, adopted by Jathara Parivrttanasana (Revolved Stomach Pose) to unwind.
Be at liberty to apply all of the steps as much as step 6 with out ever lifting your ft off the ground. You’ll nonetheless obtain the core-strengthening, hip-releasing advantages of the pose if you happen to apply all of the directions with out lifting your ft off the bottom.
Contraindications for Working towards Titibasana:
- Hand or wrist accidents
- Shoulder, elbow or low again accidents
- Current hip substitute surgical procedure
- Being pregnant
- Menstrual interval
- Uncontrolled hypertension
About Charlotte Bell
Charlotte Bell found yoga in 1982 and started educating in 1986. Charlotte is the writer of Aware Yoga, Aware Life: A Information for On a regular basis Apply and Yoga for Meditators, each printed by Rodmell Press. Her third e-book is titled Hip-Wholesome Asana: The Yoga Practitioner’s Information to Defending the Hips and Avoiding SI Joint Ache (Shambhala Publications). She writes a month-to-month column for CATALYST Journal and serves as editor for Yoga U On-line. Charlotte is a founding board member for GreenTREE Yoga, a non-profit that brings yoga to underserved populations. A lifelong musician, Charlotte performs oboe and English horn within the Salt Lake Symphony and folks sextet Crimson Rock Rondo, whose DVD gained two Emmy awards in 2010.