Opal is a singular and interesting gemstone that has been utilized in jewellery for millennia. With its distinctive play of colours and iridescence, opal jewellery is each lovely and attention-grabbing. Opals undoubtedly deserve a spot in your jewellery assortment, however what do you actually learn about them?
On this article, we’ll discover the historical past of opal jewellery, how opals are fashioned, and how one can look after opal jewellery to make sure that it stays wanting lovely for years to return.
Let’s get began…
How are Opals Shaped?
The method begins when silica-rich water seeps down into cracks and crevices within the Earth’s crust. Over time, the water evaporates, forsaking a deposit of silica. As this course of repeats, layer upon layer of silica builds up, finally forming a strong mineral deposit that we all know as opal.
The method can take anyplace from 5 million to twenty million years, relying on the particular circumstances and components concerned. The result’s a singular and delightful gemstone with a definite play of colour, created by the best way mild refracts by way of the layers of silica.
Not all opals function the iridescence and play of colour seen notably in Australian opals, however as an alternative have extra of a strong coloring which could be white, yellow, pink, orange, crimson and even black.
The Historical past of Opal Jewelry
Opals have been utilized in jewellery for 1000’s of years, with a few of the earliest examples courting again to historical Greece and Rome. Within the Center Ages, opals have been believed to have magical powers, they usually have been extremely prized by royalty and the rich.
By the nineteenth century, opal jewellery was turning into extra extensively accessible, and it grew to become a well-liked alternative for engagement rings and different special day jewellery.
Within the twentieth century, opal jewellery grew to become much more widespread and immediately it stays a well-liked alternative for jewellery lovers immediately. With its distinctive play of colours and iridescence, opal jewellery is a good way so as to add some colour and character to your jewellery assortment.
About Australian Opals
Australia is understood for producing a few of the most interesting opals on the earth, with over 95% of the world’s provide of opals coming from the nation.
The primary opal was found in Australia within the 1840s, but it surely wasn’t till the late 1800s that opal mining started in earnest. The primary industrial opal mine opened in White Cliffs, New South Wales in 1890, and shortly after, different deposits have been present in areas similar to Coober Pedy, Lightning Ridge and Andamooka.
Opal mining in Australia continues to be largely a small-scale trade, with most of the mines being family-run operations. Nonetheless, there are additionally bigger mining corporations that make use of tons of of individuals and produce important quantities of opal every year.
Right this moment, Australian opals are extremely wanted by collectors, jewellery designers and jewellery lovers around the globe. With their distinctive and fascinating play of colour, Australian opals proceed to be a very talked-about alternative for these searching for a particular and delightful gemstone.
Learn how to Look after Opal Jewelry
Opals are comparatively delicate and require a little bit of particular care to maintain them wanting their finest. Listed here are some ideas for caring on your opal jewelry:
- Opal is kind of a smooth gemstone, so retailer your opal jewellery individually from different jewellery to keep away from scratches and injury. Gentle material pouches or jewellery packing containers are perfect for storing treasured jewellery.
- Clear your opal jewellery usually to take away grime and oil buildup. To wash opal jewellery, merely wash it in heat soapy water, rinse and dry totally. Take a look at our complete jewellery cleansing information for extra ideas.
- Keep away from getting your opal jewellery moist usually or for prolonged durations, particularly if the opals are doublets or triplets which have synthetic backings. We advocate taking it off when showering or swimming. In case your opal jewellery will get moist, it’s best to dry it shortly and totally to forestall injury.
- For prime worth opal jewellery, we advocate having your items professionally inspected and cleaned periodically to make sure that it stays in high situation.
- Keep away from exposing opal jewellery to harsh chemical compounds, similar to bleach and cleansing brokers, as these can injury the gemstone. Take care if utilizing chemical cleaners on treasured metallic which has opals set into it: clear across the stones as finest you’ll be able to and you’ll want to rinse and dry totally if you’re performed.
- By no means expose opal jewellery to excessive temperature modifications, as this will trigger the gemstone to crack or develop into discolored. Specifically, do not use a steam cleaner on opals.
Add Some Stunning Opal Jewelery to your Assortment
Opal jewellery is an exquisite and distinctive alternative of gemstone for jewellery lovers. Whether or not you are searching for an important day piece or simply an intriguing and subtly colourful addition to your assortment, opals are a very particular possibility.
(Studying this on an internet site that is not simonewalsh.com? Bear in mind that the content material has been stolen, infringing the copyright of a small enterprise. ABN: 65108844126)
At Simone Walsh Jewelery we’ve a collection of inexpensive opal jewelry, together with some small and delightful Australian opals, Mexican hearth opals and strong colour variants in pinks, yellows and whites.
Take a look at our opal jewelery vary, together with our full gemstone jewelery assortment. We’re certain you may discover one thing you like.